[Harp-L] [Slightly OT]Review : ScrapOmatic

I have posted a review of an astounding yet obscure album I discovered early this year on my harmonica weblog (http://harmonica.typepad.com/). There isn't actually much harmonica on this record (although what little there is is good !) but since it's really one of my favourite findings of 2004, I felt like sharing it with the whole wide world.

Here's the beginning of the review :

ScrapOmatic was originally a New York City based duo composed of singer Mike Mattison and guitarist Paul Olsen. It's my understanding that they now play with a tuba player and a drummer as well. Their first, self-titled album, however, is a full band exercise and benefits from a fine instrumentation under the supervision of producer John Snyder.

Why mention the producer, you ask ? Well, it may not count for much in many cases, but I believe it does here. John Snyder has a list of credits as long as my right arm, featuring names as prestigious as Ornette Coleman, Dave Brubeck, Robert Lockwood Jr, and Charles Brown. A few years ago, dispirited by the orientation taken by the music industry, he created a non profit independent label named Artists House. This label records artists, known or lesser-known, with a great freedom of interpretation but with a quality both in terms of recording conditions (session musicians, studios, etc.) and production (packaging, accompanying DVD, etc.) that equals the best majors.

That being said, let?s talk about ScrapOmatic. If you absolutely had to pin them down to a musical genre, you would most likely find them in the ?rhythm n' blues? section of your record store, but that?s ?rhythm n' blues? in the noble sense of the word, the R&B of the 60s. Mike Mattison's voice is evidently in that vein, warm and slightly veiled, with an impressive range from a cute falsetto to a mean bluesy growl. Paul Olsen?s guitar work is most likely more forward in their habitual live formula, but here it is subtle and mostly in accompaniment rather than fiery improvisation...

To read the whole review, go to http://www.harmonica.typepad.com