[Harp-L] Review : SHTREIML - Spicy Paprikash

I have posted a review of Shtreiml's "Spicy Paprikash" on my harmonica weblog (http://harmonica.typepad.com). Here are the first few paragraphs to whet you interests :

SHTREIML - Spicy Paprikash

I know next to nothing about klezmer music. When Jason Rosenblatt and I got in touch last year and discussed me reviewing ?Spicy Paprikash?, I told him that I had very little background to substantiate a review, but he didn?t seem to mind. Maybe it?s better, after all, since I can only base my appreciation on what I hear, notwithstanding elements of background on the genre.

Shtreiml is a Quebec based klezmer band with, at its core, five musicians : Josh Dolgin on Accordion and Vocals, Thierry Arsenault on Drums, Ariel Harrod on Bass, Rachel Lemish on Trombone and the aforementioned Jason Rosenblatt on Harmonica and Keyboards. There are also several guests playing on the record. It is my understanding from reading the sleeve notes (and what little background I do have on Jewish music) that the clarinet is the traditional soloist instrument of klezmer, and that is the role that Jason is filling with the diatonic harmonica instead.

The record opens on a fiery original entitled ?Uncle Tibor?s Spicy Paprikash?, a minor theme with a suitably eastern oriental feel. It is as good an introduction to Jason?s playing as you can get: although he is obviously very fluent on the diatonic, Jason doesn?t abuse this fluency in needless fireworks, he uses it to forward the feel of the genre, with lots of ornamentations and heavy vibratos. Halfway through, unsurprisingly, the theme starts again a double the original speed, in a very energetic fashion. Great tune, great playing...

Read the rest on http://harmonica.typepad.com