[Harp-L] Like Mike, but different: 1/4 to XLR impedance Query

Query along similar lines as Mike Fugazzi:

I have a bullet-style mic with a 1970's controlled magnetic cartridge with 22k ohm parallel to ground resistor. No, I don't really know what that means, tho I suspect it's pertinent to my question since I'm asking about line impedance conversion calculated to maintain the overdriving power of the mic into a PA. At least I think that's what I'm asking about.

Like most, I usually connect to a 1/4" jack and then patch into a typical amp.

But when plugging this mic into a P.A. via an XLR connector (either replacing a mic at the stand or patching into the PA head) what sort of adaptor and what impedence conversion numbers should I look for (and in what direction) to retain as much of the mic's funky tone as possible?

Most adaptors I've tried clean the dirty sound right out, which of course is silly, since if I wanted clean I'd use a straight vocal mic.

I am not technically hip, (nor hip, technically, for that matter). Could someone enlighten this dumb cracker in plain english?

Thanks!

-Dave Fertig