[Harp-L] Re: Volume Adjustment

I too own a Harp Commander. I use an Audix vocal mic
and run that to
the HC and then to an amp. I have played, however,
several gigs
through the PA. I too like to control my distortion
and volume.

Your best bet, IMO, is to focus on controlling the
tone, and use
technique to adjust volume. The higher the level on
the HC, the more
compressed the sound becomes irregardless of the
compression dial. I
usually run the level at around 1/4. This way I get a
clean sound
with the compression dial turned down. Then when I
want to a
distorted sound, I turn the compression up and leave
the level alone.
(I should note that I am not looking for a heavily
compressed sound
for "my sound" and usually prefer playing relatively
"clean", but this
lets me do both very easily)

To control my playing level, I play with a tight cup
to be loud and on
rhythm parts keep my hands loose. Also I conciously
try to play
softer. Another trick I use, is to acutally hold the
harp away from
the harp mic. Since I also sing, I might even play my
vocal mic for
the rhythm parts (standing back from it). These tips
will work
regardless of the rig...the only down fall is that the
rhythm part
might not sound as compressed as the solo volume.

Personally, I prefer playing with an amp. I focus on
creating a
cleaner tone (that sounds warmer then the pa) and then
use the HC as a
distortion pedal of sorts. I like using vocal mics for
their feedback
fighting and their ease of holding. The HC can be
easily set up to
make any mic sound like a more traditional harp mic.

Mike

=====
Mike Fugazzi
Vocals/Harmonica