[Harp-L] Volume Adjustment help

Hi everyone,

     i've recently started playing out with my band,
and i'm trying to zero in on fixing some problems. all
the "how do i play that" problems aside, i have a
question about volume.
     first, quickly, is my "rig." i'm playing an SM57
through a lo/hi-z converter into a Harp Commander into
the PA. i may add a delay pedal at some point. right
now, i use the HC to EQ my sound and to provide the
overdrive i want.
   here's the issue: on some songs i want a dirtier
sound, on some songs cleaner. and on a couple of
songs, where we keep the volume down, i need to be
able to play softly but still gritty.
   the HC's level control can only do so much however
- when i back off the level a little, i lose some
volume, which isn't always what i want. and other
times, when i want to play softer, i may want to keep
the level high to get a more overdriven sound. and of
course, there's the problem of wanting to be a
background player most of the time, and a soloist
(read, my sound needs to pop above the band a bit)
some of the time.
    some of this i can handle with the dynamics of my
own playing, but i'm either not good enough at it, or
i'm looking for levels of change that are too far
apart.
    if i can't depend on the soundman to turn me up or
down, can anyone recommend an option by which i can
still use the HC to control my overdrive level, but
have an independent volume control? something,
perhaps, to go between the HC and the PA?

    (of course, i'll take advice on technique as well,
since i figure the discussion's gonna veer in that
direction ;)

     thanks for any advice,

   --Jp