[Harp-L] Because they Can

Ben wrote that most overblowers over utilize their technique, playing certain things "because they
can" while most harmonica players can't.

I don't think that's a fair criticism of overblowers because I think the same can be said of many
harp players whether they overblow or not.  Too many harp players playing at Popperesque speeds
"because they can".   Too many harp players using painfully shrill high-end blow bends "because
they can".  Too many harp players overdoing simple shakes in a Chicago blues setting "because they
can."

Without claiming I'm immune to that syndrome, I think that my approach to harp is a little less
vulnerable to it.  Because my own harp playing is song driven.  I choose a song to learn and then
I do my best to accurately recreate it on the harp, without much regard to whether I'll get a
chance to show off my bag of harp tricks.   If I can play every note in the tune, as it was
originally written, then I'm happy.  If I can show off a little bit during the solo slot that's
fine too, but I'm more concerned with playing the song as it was written.  Nothing bugs me more
than hearing an otherwise great harp player take liberties with the melody just to make a song
easier to play on the harp.