Re: [Harp-L] Where to run delay effect?

--- Richard Hunter <turtlehill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In general, time-based effects like delays are run at the end of the
> effects chain.
>
> However, there's no reason why you can't try it with the Harp
> Commander
> after the delay.  The sound will be different.  Whether it's better
> or
> worse depends on how it fits with a given song.

The advice from Ron Holmes on the use of the Harp Commander with
effects pedals follows:

"The input section of HC matches microphone to preamp and tone section.
Most mics sound terrible right into unmodified pedals because they are
designed to load (match) a much lower impedance guitar pickup. Usually
the low impedance, "Instrument Out" signal from Harp Commander is
perfect for driving a pedal.

So, to sum up the Harp Commander lives between your mic and the world.
Some dynamic mics can drive an effects pedal OK as long as they are
strong and have a fairly low-impedance out. They could allow for
driving a pedal then on to HC then out. But most mics and especially
all crystal mics _have_ to be isolated with a very high impedance
amplifier like the Harp Commander has (5 megohm) for them to work at
all let alone sound good. A pedal usually creates 10,000 to 100,000
ohms loading on input source and that makes a crystal mic signal sound
tinny and useless. They need 5,000,000 ohms (5 megohms) loading.

I hope this helps clarify this issue. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Ron Holmes
Holmes Engineering"

As a side note we plan to have a "kit" available in the near future
from Ron Holmes that will allow players to modify their own effects
pedals so that they will work well and have better tone when they are
fed directly by a mic.

=====

Regards,
John Watts, Coast to Coast Music
http://coast2coastmusic.com
Harmonicas, Guitars, Strings, & Accessories
800-776-5015