RE: [Harp-L] A Night in Tunisia

From: "samblancato" <samblancato@xxxxxxxxxxx>
I have a pretty good
ear and I can't get a handle on the main theme at all. This is the first
time I have ever asked this but could someone maybe TAB out the first couple
of bars of this song? I have never been one to use TABs to learn a song. I
do everything by ear.
I would bet that anybody that is learning this tune on short harp is learning it on a deeper musical level than is expressed by tablature. I'm not putting tab down, but tab is the paint by numbers of music. It is a means to an end. One would hope that the painter could eventually start with a blank canvas and his imagination.
That being said, I too am terrible at reading tab!
NO, I don't want to tab it out!!!!

I sometimes run into the fear that the short harp is really way more limited
than I am willing to admit and a song like this seems to prove it.
There are tunes that make me wonder, but Tunisia does not.
Joy Spring by Clifford Brown and Ceora by Lee Morgan are the tunes that make me wonder.
But these tunes are hell on the Button Beast also.

Happy harping none the less,

Michael Peloquin