[Harp-L] Lip Block (Was Any Help Out There)

What about the method where you curl your tongue to get a note?....

  I learned from Jon Gindick's book (16 ys ago) and I started with "finger blocking" at first. This wasn't in the book.

In order to hear the hole I was trying for, I'd hold my fingers over all others, then blow or draw the open hole.  It gave me an audible target to shoot for when I "puckered"

 I managed to develop a great deal of speed, articulation, and tone with my pucker when I really got to practicing.  But the pucker was not as it had begun.  I think as we develop a touch for the harp, it moves farther into the mouth following the initial "peck on the cheek" pucker, I know I started with.

About 3 years ago I took the advice of one Drew Blood who preached tongue blocking as the gospel.  I re-trained my embouchure painstakingly, and I have to say he was right.  I was a huge skeptic.  (how could you possible bend a note???, I said)

 Ladies and gentlemen, tone is very important to me, and I worked my tail off for tone using both techniques.  There is nothing wrong with NOT tongue blocking. Those of you who persist to resist, don't get upset.   I switch to it sometimes still.  For my money, however, there is no substitute for the strength of tone,and articulation that TB'ing delivers.  But for a beginner.... I say use whatever means necessary to get the single notes.  Just get them.