RE: [Harp-L] A Night In Tunisia

An ode-to-joy style challenge for summer of 2005 sound like a great idea.  I learned a great deal from the ode challenge.  I have no time or webspace, but I'd be willing to donate some money to start a prize fund or pay for some webspace.

As for the diatonic/chromatic argument, that's a matter of taste.  However, every time I learn the same tune on a different instrument, I learn something new about each instrument.  Try playing an easy line on a diatonic, then copying it on the sax and vice versa.  Now try to copy it on guitar or bass.  The process reveals much about how the instruments are related (or not related in some cases).  Not only that, but you can communicate to other musicians much more transperently after a series of such exercises with your axes of choice.

The Night in Tunisia on a Diatonic, Chromatic, or Sax is not the issue.  Growth on all three IS the issue.   Why play Tunisia on a diatonic?  Because it's there.  I'm gonna try it.  I'd like to see a challenge site so I can receive critiques.

Great Thread.

Will

Michael Peloquin <peloquinharp@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
sold!
in D minor on an Ab harp-
seventh position
the head:
lots of pesky bends in this key-work on this key-it will improve your bends
in any position-
but only 1 evil OB (5OB)
(this could be overcome by playing it on Ab Country Tuned harp)

improv:
the vamp is really better in this position because the chords are Dmin7 and
Eb7-
guess what Eb7 is our old and trusted friend-CROSS HARP

Michael Peloquin
http://www.globerecords.com/cgi-bin/db/search.cgi?specific=itemno&phrase=GLO-025

http://www.channelcatsbluesband.20m.com
http://www.cdbaby.com/willvogtman