Re: [Harp-L] re jason ricci @ mexicali blues

I caught Jason last week at TERRA BLUES in the village in NYC..

 Although we hung/jammed some and taught a clinic together at SPAH this past
summer...I hadn't heard him with his band.

   I'm glad Wade Schuman called to organize a few NY cats to see Jason. We
(Wade, JP Pagan, Jason and myself)met for some Chinese food before the show
and had a nice time talkin' shop amongst other things. We had a good time.

He did have quite a respectable crowd at Terra Blues and they all sure
enjoyed the show.

These cats , Jason and New Blood are a true "Band of Brothers", as I
listened I found myself thinking of other small bands that really moved me
when I was learning about 'groove': King Curtis and the Kingpins, The
Meters, The early Butterfield Band, The early Geils band, The Gary Burton
quartet, Booker T and the MG's,
The Beatles, Love and Arthur Lee, King Biscuit and Crowbar, Stuff....just to
name a few...

what did all these bands have in common?  they had a "telepathic interplay"
that went way beyond "Cues" and arrangements...they played such deep dynamic
grooves as they backed each other up that each player was able to create
incredible soloing ideas over the top of that musical landscape.....this is
real hard for me to put into words so I hope I'm makin' some kinda sense
explaining this.

   Anyway, I heard this with Jason's band, they've reached THAT level,
they're still growing and have things to work on but the "groove" factor is
present and in good hands!!

     Jason is setting up new standards for Diatonic Blues Players, that will
spawn a whole new generation of players bringing Blues Harp to some
refreshing "new" territories.

    I commend him for his contributions and his willingness to "take
chances", not something many artists are doing on the "Blues Circuit" today.

Great stage presence and a generous person who is proud to be part of our
community..

I wish him all the best...
rob paparozzi