[Harp-L] Re : Differen t Strokes / was Engraving musical impressions

Hi Hurricane,

I´m just in a writing mood, so let me answer your comment which honors
your first name very much.

I´ve learned that you are an universal musician who spent hours and hours of

< practicing , practicing , practicing , practicing , practicing , practicing
,
< practicing , practicing , practicing , practicing , practicing , practicing
. >
                                      (= 12 times)

and that your wife is called "nutz" (is that really correct?) but I tried in
vain
to find out the message you wanted to send me. You ask me:

< Ever hear the the expression :
< " Different Stroke For Different Folks " ?>

Sorry, I never heard that but I understand the meaning.
But let me ask you reversely:

You ever heard :
                          "Wie man sich bettet, so liegt man" or
                          "Der Apfel fällt nicht weit vom Stamm" ?

You never heard? Why not? Here in Germany everybody know these proverbs.

You picked out my accordion training Dad whose 7 years old son wondered
why Dad started from the beginning everytime he made a mistake and
choosed this example to make long excursions about a lot of things which
have nothing to do with my subject.

I think you have completely misunderstood what I wanted to say.
Here´s once again the quintessence of my ideas I almost regret having
published them:

<< Crucial isn`t the time you spend for the training but the frequency of
<< training and above all the pauses between the exercises. >>

Let me translate that. My experience is that the relevant brain part engrave
the impressions the better the more often they come in or in other words:
Not the duration of excercising is important but the number of them which
necessarily means to make pauses between the exercises.

I think that´s what the Iceman wanted to say with his "5 min per day, but
every day".

Back to my Dad. He wanted to play his ètudes flawless by all means.
In Germany we say: etwas mit der Brechstange erreichen" (to manage
something with the crowbar, or something like that).

Psychologists will tell you what happens in most cases. Every time
you come near to the spot you use to make a mistake your adrenalin
level rises and you become strained. You think, OK, this time it must
work, but, orrrps, again wrong etc.

My advice: relax, relax, go on playing and think that one day you will
manage it.

Finally, you wrote:

< The one singular thing all these musicians had was " patients " and what
< you expressed to me about how you and you father practiced , tell  me
< " patients " is something that eluded you as your father tried to
accomplish
< something positive .>

OK, let´s say "patience" (a "patient" is an ill or sick person). Two points
aren´t correct. At first, I didn´t practice with my father. He had to
practice,
while I could play his ètude flawless. Secondly, I have to smile to attribute

me impatience. I tell you what.

You must have a lot of patience to customize or build harmonicas.

Nevertheless, peace again and don´t stop practicing, practicing .........

Siegfried