[Harp-L] Re: Older Beginner

First of all, you are not alone at beginning at your age. There is a recent resurgence in interest in learning to play by many people of this age group according to my recent observation of new students coming to me for lessons and those attending Jam Camps and Augusta Heritage Center Blues Week.

Secondly, if you want to play blues, choose a recorded artist to emulate. Decide what sound your inner ear hears when you think about playing harmonica. Don't stress about who you choose, as you may very well go through different phases with different players in mind. The important thing is to find someone whose sound resonates within you.

Next, begin with single note pursed, as it is here that you may best/easiest find how to control single notes, bending techniques and vibrato.

However, do not wait very long to begin a parallel discipline on tongue blocking. Then, develop both at the same time. Eventually they will not feel like two very different techniques, but rather like two sides of one coin.

If you eventually decide you like a Corky Siegel sound, you can always go more in the direction of pursed and phase out the TB.

The Iceman