Re: [Harp-L] Older beginner

From: "Paul Jackson" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
So my question is this - as a late beginner am I better concentrating on
tonguing or puckering to play the blues to a reasonable standard?

Paul, I've started the harp at 50+. I'm certainly not good enough to give advice, but I'll tell you what I've found. When the real players chime in and say that I'm full of it, listen to them. We are all different in how we learn, but I find that it is better for me to work on several things frequently in fairly small doses. It lets me extend my session in the wood shed without getting frustrated (well, not too frustrated), and since practice only makes perfect if you practice perfectly, which I'm not, it help keep me from getting quite so good at making an error.

I'm working in three areas. Rhythm harp to get control of my breath and developing proper timing. I'm less interested in speed that keeping time with the metronome at the moment. Nothing screams "poor player" like poor timing. Tongue blocking because it lets me do cool rhythmic things with a melody in the form of chord self accompaniment. Puckering because it's the only way that I can bend. Keep in mind that while I have fallen in love with blues music, I like other kinds too. You asked specifically about blues. You can't learn to play basketball if you don't practice, ball control, shooting, and teamwork. I think that the same goes for learning the harp. But then I haven't proven any of that by becoming a good harp player, yet.

Peace and music,
Dave