[Harp-L] vocal mic with band

When I'm sittin' in with an electric band, it seems that the vocal mics are set so you have to be right on top of them to be heard.  I assume this is done to prevent feedback.  Unfortunately, it also prevents the preferred "acoustic" playing distance of at least a few inches to allow full hand effects.  Is this just "how it is" or is there a way around it?

(Of course, playing hand held into an amp or PA is a way around it, but that's not the same playing style; a ring-style mic allows an "approximation" of acoustic, hand effect style, but I'm wondering more about the possibility of staying with a mic on a stand.  For example, is there a different kind of mic that kept well away from the monitors that would pick up the harmonica sound from a few inches away w/o feedback?  Or do I just need to ask the sound person to turn me up?)

Thanks!   --john k.