Re: [Harp-L] Jam band harp

Lately I've found myself in a jamband situation and I'm really digging it a
lot. Through some other bandmates I've hooked up with two of the guys from the
now defunct Freddie Jones Band. Great players with a natural bent toward the
jamband format -- lots of musical ideas being traded back and forth and lots of
chances being taken. Spiraling improvised solos that start very simply and
build on themselves. Great fun. Last Friday night we played a big corporate
Halloween party and during the sound check I blew out one of the 6L6's in my Sonny
Jr. No spares. Bummer. I was resigned to go straight through the PA when one
of the guitarists said "hey I've got a spare amp out in the car, wanna use
it?" You bet, said I, not even knowing or caring what kind of amp it was. It
turned out to be a Trace Elliot Bonneville 112. After trying a couple of different
bullet mics and not quite liking the way they sounded, I plugged in my EV630
and it was an eye opening experience. Took a couple of minutes to get it under
control but once I did, magic happened. I got a huge beautiful sound with
this mic/amp combination. Not distorted at all, unless I really leaned on it, but
huge, fat and clean. Very trumpet like. The amp was mic'd through the PA. Cut
through the wall of guitars like a hot knife through butter and I never got
the volume past 4.

So I think I'm on a new quest for one of these amps. I guess TE stopped
making this particular model a few years back. I've had the chance to play through
one other Trace Elliot amp; I think it was a Speed Twin 212 that a well known
harp player here in the Chicago area uses for his electric gigs. I was super
impressed with the way it sounded as well. The point is that Trace Elliot amps
seem to be harp friendly and unique sounding. From what I've seen they let you
rely more on your own natural acoustic tone but at the same time get a big
amplified boost with plenty of head room when you need it. May or may not the
best bet for traditional blues, but really nice for rock.

T. Albanese