[Harp-L] Re : Enough with the "Oh, Suzanna" already!!

Sam said:

Actually, I think this magnificent work cuts through to the very heart of
what our instrument is all about, of what playing the harmonica "means"! As
far as "oh Susana" goes I, for one, know I would set aside my silly
preoccupation with throat vibrato and overblows and learning blues songs if
I could only master that wonderful anthem!

Too late, IMO James Taylor did "oh Susana" best with one of those gitar things.

Just like Louis Armstrong with Its A Wonderful World, you just can't make it better.

Actually doing ballads is an art in itself, very few can do it really well although Toots can do it in is sleep. Whe I listened to some of his phrases, I am in awe, its just so beautiful and perfect.

I think you have to be old and mellow to do that. Us young guys (I'm skirting 50) we're just too excited.

Maybe with more wine...

Pierre.