[Harp-L] Notes on a Recent Case Study; was Harmonica Injuries

Recently, a suffering patient wrote:

--I suffered  severe injury [to my self esteem and to my
standing in my local Blues Community...

Congratulations!  Self-awareness is the first phase of recovery.  With hard
work and a healthy dose of the revolutionary "Portnoy Therapy", you WILL
recover--and, in time, the blues community may begin to heal the wounds you
inflicted on it.

--I forgot that I was going to play a double- 24 bars-
in 1st position, and when I put the harp to my lips I
began to automatically play in 2nd positions.

--Phase Two of the healing process is, for many patients, where the fun
begins--with deep immersion in Portnoy Therapy.  In this period of treatment, you
will learn some basic truths about the harp--and yourself--that will be of
immeasurable help in recovery.  For example: as Dr. Portnoy will tell you himself,
 there is only one 2nd position.  Forcing yourself to choose between a
variety of imaginary 2nd positions is a symptom we rarely encounter, but it can only
place more strain on an already overburdened psyche.

--my brain
just refused to adjust or remember

In Phase Three, you will share this amnesia experience--or, at least, what
you can remember of it--in group therapy (assuming any of your fellow patients
remember to show up.)  Very Important Note: we find that episodes of "diatonic
amnesia" are merely symptoms of a more widespread fear of remembering painful
truths.

--I can still see some of the faces as they took on that look of,
~Gee why did I never realize how horrible this guy is~

The credo of Phase Four is simply: stop punishing yourself!  In this case,
for example, it's more likely that they ALREADY realized it.

--Go W

Though completely disconnected from the rest of your touching confession,
this appears to be a reference to the newly-elected President of the United
States. If so, simply refer to Phase Three, Very Important Note.

But remember: there ARE no hopeless cases.  Of course, some come very close,
but...start to work on the amnesia issue first.  And please DON'T omit the
political remarks.  Though Harp-L frowns on them, in this case they are very
helpful in forming a complete diagnosis.

On behalf of the whole staff at the Cotton-Wells Institute, we applaud you
for seeking help.

Peace and Respect,
Dr. Johnny T