RE: [Harp-L] harp hernia

Steve Shaw wrote:
<clip...>
> I'd avoid many an eye-watering injury if only I'd shave off my moustache
> (what IS it about Lee Oskars and moustaches?).

Can't help ya there, Steve...  ;)

> Seriously, though, I wonder how many harp-players inflict damage on
> themselves by adopting a poor posture whilst playing, or by just being
> unnecessarily tense.  This can affect in particular the back, neck,
> shoulders and hands.  I find I can sometimes "speak firmly " to myself
while
> playing and make myself consciously relax certain groups of muscles that
are
> way too tense.  My hands are usually gripping the harp/mic far more firmly
> than necessary.   Muscle tension should be just enough to carry out the
> mechanics of the activity in question and no more.  I think you play so
much
> better that way too...

>From time to time, when I feel like punishing myself, I get out my guitar
and try to make some progress.  I have a guitar instructional book that
takes a "muscle memory" sort approach to getting comfortable with the
instrument.  The author makes the point over and over that muscular tension
is the enemy of any musician.  That's certainly true of harmonica players.
When I find myself having areas with too muscular tension I know something
is not right in my playing.  Usually it's because I'm doing something
difficult for me, like playing a particularly challenging passage or
learning a new technique or riff.

The reason I am mentioning the guitar book is that the author introduced me
to a technique that has helped me identify and correct unnecessary muscular
tension--while playing music and in everyday life.  Maybe it will help you.
He describes an exercise that he calls "posing".  He advises that you "pose"
every few minutes as you practice.  In posing, you stop mid-note and in an
almost meditative way analyze the sources of muscular tension in your body.
When you find an area that is too tense, you make a conscious effort to
relax it.  This helps you learn to identify and control the "tight spots"
that prevent your body from performing in a relaxed, fluid manor.  After a
few "poses" you learn to identify certain spots in your musculature that are
predisposed to tension.  Soon, you learn to identify these spots and correct
the tension on the fly, without "posing".  Ultimately, you are able rid
yourself of the natural tendency to tense up.

Playing while relaxed fosters many good things for a musician.  For a
harper, the dividends include increased control over your instrument, better
tone, and less stress on your body.

Works for me...  8^)

Michelle