Fwd: [Harp-L] Wailin' Wood (was harp hernia)

Hee, hee! (Sorry, couldn't resist - but I wasn't trying to stump
anyone.)

Never having met or seen classic players from bygone days like Rhythm
Willie, Ernie Morris, or John Hurt, I couldn't possibly comment on
their physical playing styles or on their health. With the exception
of Charlie McCoy, all the players I mentioned are people I actually
know and have observed at close range as players.

Wailin' is a contemporary harp player with a couple of CDs out; to my
knowledge his recording career stretches back about ten years.

I saw Wood perform at Buckeye a couple of years back. he must have
had a gallon jug of water with him on stage, and he needed it! The
man has a frenetic style that has him traveling all over the harp at
warp speed and running little marathons in place with his legs while
he does it - a high energy player in every sense of the word. His
playing tends to the fast and fluid and is in a more or less
bluegrass/country gospel vein.

I mentioned him partly because he traverses some of the same
stylistic ground (or at least ballpark) as Mike Stevens and partly
because his playing is very physical, both in terms of the exertion
required to execute on the harmonica and in terms of the additional
(and considerable) energy expended as part of his overall exuberance.
But his extremes don't seem to take a toll on him physically - aside
from possible exhaustion.

Winslow

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Bret Littlehales"
<blittlehales@xxxx> wrote:

<Looking at players who are in some way comparable, like Howard Levy,
<Joe Filisko, Carlos del Junco, Wailin' Wood, Charlie McCoy,

Okay, Winslow- you've stumped me. Who is Wailin' Wood? Am I the only
guy who's never heard of him? Me, who collects Ernie Morris solo
recordings? Me, who has everything Rhythm Willie ever recorded? Me,
who treasures my Mississippi John Hurt on harmonica recordings? Can't
be.

Help me out, lung- brother.

Bret