RE: Fwd: [Harp-L] harp hernia

I know that Mike Stevens has commented in public on this in the past.
He also injured himself in triathlon (I think) events.

As good as a harp player as he is, I really don't know why he injures
himself. He has also stated that overblowing is hard on his lips.
Again, I can't imagine how. Mike seems predisposed to twist himself
in knots physically to get results. He comes across as an amiable,
nice guy of mellow disposition and easy self-assurance, not some
hopped-up maniac hell-bent on self destruction, so it's kind of
mystifying.

Looking at players who are in some way comparable, like Howard Levy,
Joe Filisko, Carlos del Junco, Wailin' Wood, Charlie McCoy, I'm not
aware of any physical injuries or problems they have incurred as a
result of playing the harmonica in similar styles or on the edge of
what is considered physically possible.

As is so often the case, one suspects that it is the player and not
the instrument.

Winslow

I'd avoid many an eye-watering injury if only I'd shave off my moustache (what IS it about Lee Oskars and moustaches?).

Seriously, though, I wonder how many harp-players inflict damage on themselves by adopting a poor posture whilst playing, or by just being unnecessarily tense. This can affect in particular the back, neck, shoulders and hands. I find I can sometimes "speak firmly " to myself while playing and make myself consciously relax certain groups of muscles that are way too tense. My hands are usually gripping the harp/mic far more firmly than necessary. Muscle tension should be just enough to carry out the mechanics of the activity in question and no more. I think you play so much better that way too. I've been meaning to look into the Alexander Technique and have even bought a book about it. I wonder if anyone has used the method specifically with regard to harmonica-playing?

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica

Steve's CD of mostly traditional Irish, "Blowing Through The Reeds," is now available! Hear clips at http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm