Fwd: [Harp-L] harp hernia

I know that Mike Stevens has commented in public on this in the past.
He also injured himself in triathlon (I think) events.

As good as a harp player as he is, I really don't know why he injures
himself. He has also stated that overblowing is hard on his lips.
Again, I can't imagine how. Mike seems predisposed to twist himself
in knots physically to get results. He comes across as an amiable,
nice guy of mellow disposition and easy self-assurance, not some
hopped-up maniac hell-bent on self destruction, so it's kind of
mystifying.

Looking at players who are in some way comparable, like Howard Levy,
Joe Filisko, Carlos del Junco, Wailin' Wood, Charlie McCoy, I'm not
aware of any physical injuries or problems they have incurred as a
result of playing the harmonica in similar styles or on the edge of
what is considered physically possible.

As is so often the case, one suspects that it is the player and not
the instrument.

Winslow

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, john kuzloski
<jkuzloski@xxxx> wrote:
I just had a brief email exchange with a professional harp player who
confirmed that he has had 6 hernias playing harmonica!  (I hestitate
to mention a name because I'm not sure how public this information is
supposed to be.)  Has anybody here ever heard of such a thing?  (I
didn't ask him how it happened, but I assume it wasn't from carrying
an amp!)  Any ideas?  --jk