Re: [Harp-L] An illustrative story.

Bobby " BlackHat" Walters wrote:

Can I get a witness! I started out at a local open mic and it was a great
experience. Not necessarily for those listening to me struggle but for me
personally. After hearing a couple of other harp players really rock, I
realized that I had a long way to go. Most importantly, I learned to be
HUMBLE. Over the years my playing has improved but I'm still HUMBLE. Why?
Because everyday I learn something new about playing harp which means I'm
still learning my craft. It also means that there will always be something
new to learn not matter how good I think I am. IT means that I will always
have a reason to remain HUMBLE.

Amen to being humble! I've never considered myself a great harp player. I'm well aware of my limitations, and while I'm working to push them farther out, I don't step over them on stage, and never try to take the limelight from the rest of the band. I'm a sideman, and I know it. It's great to hear when folks come up after the show and say they liked my playing, as it's nice to know I didn't completely bomb, but I just take that as a pleasant surprise, and don't let my hat size increase. The band I'm currently playing with is led by a gal who's been doing this stuff for years (much unlike myself), and one of the reasons she likes having me in the mix is that I keep it simple and subtle. "Tasteful" she says. She's preferred to work with players like me that share the "ego-free" approach to music than with some far more technically proficient guys who are real show boaters. So while I'm nowhere near a Rod Piazza or a Jason Ricci, not even in the same time zone, and never will be, I seem to be doing something right. I only hope I just get better, while still keeping my humility and doing my part to avoid adding to the apparent stigma aganst harp players.

Heck, I may even learn to read some music. :o)

--
Colin Epstein