RE: Acoustic question

HIH Jervis Groeneveld wrote:
> In Joe Filisko's last workshop (in Germany, it was great!) he advised to
NOT
> play IN the mic, but play it NEXT to the mic (my words, it is hard to
> explain in words). Imagine the mic is pointing at your right cheekbone (if
> you hold the harp in the left hand). The piece of the harp that is
sticking
> out the right side of your hands is pointing at the mic.

As you'd expect, Joe gave you some good advice there.  I'd expand by
mentioning, as I think someone else did, that an omni-directional mic would
work better than the unidirectional SM-57.  I love to play acoustically
using my CM Green Bullet, which is omindirectional.  I find I get the best
results by placing the mic ~under my chin~, pointing upwards (I use the mic
on an 18" flexible gooseneck attached to a mic stand).  This has two
benefits.  One, the ability of the mic to pick up my hand effects seems best
there.  (I think I open my hands towards the floor when I make my "wahs".)
Secondly, I find that the ability of the mic to pick up my gasps for breath
or nasal breathing is minimized if the mic isn't right in line with the
direction of my breath, as it would be with the mic up front and center.

Now, what I'd really like is a $1200 studio mic!     8^)

Michelle