Re : Acoustic question

James Day Sez :

Excerpt

>my acoustic to mic techinque sounds weak

Hurricane Sez :

Shure Brothers SM57's as a rule are on the thin side of the tone spectrum and are used for full bodied and or bassy vocalists and instrument sound reinforcement stuff like dat , great on a Fender Bassman with a matching xformner for a harp or to use as a mic into a P.A. with it in front of a Bassman for sound reinforcement , but for doubling up for your harp and vocals is stretching it a tad through a P.A. , get a SM58 and you will have the best mic for this application your in need of and not cutting it with that 57 and for a reasonable price in many cases , you will see plenty of used ones to test out in pawn shops & music stores in big metropolitan cities and areas where live entertainment venues are present like resorts .

Once while in need of a microphone & harmonicas to do a show in Lahaina , Maui Hawaii I lucked out after  I spotted a pawn show and for $100.00 got a Shure 520D Bullet with a set of 12 harps and a case  to hold them with ! One never knows do one :) .

If you can audition a mic ( any , not just a Shure 58 but one with the same sound character ) that's the way to nail what your after in a mic for that kind of live show set up , Audio Technica makes a SM58 clone that's cherry for this application .  I use both and can't tell them apart except one is louder slightly and you could use both to nail a board and never hurt them , but we're splitten hairs on  the amount of noticeable difference between the two , either one could knock a person out quickly and effortlessly . I am about to begin again a duet act , something that I was really successful with and I will do it with the same guitar player after a 4 year separation , only now I will play guitar too along with blowing  my harps , we will cover Ellington's early stuff , Louis Armstrong , Louis Jordon , Ghershwin , Rogers & Hart , man it is limitless ,  The Beatles , Rock-N-Roll , Rock-A-Billy , Blues , Country Western , we stretched big time then and now maybe even more so!
 with my playing acoustic electric and then maybe figure out a " World Beat " thang set with my Godin LGX-SA midi / acoustic electric /  electric guitar (; yesser there is such a beast ;) coupled with my Roland GR33 guitar synthesizer I has fo to do it too it with
(¡384 sounds !) ,  man we are gonna get ballistic man just ballistic , I hope you get some of that too in your act and get off big time doing your show as you develop and shape it as time passes :) , I sure did the first time around doing that " Unplugged Duet " in the beginning and ended up 3 years later with a really popular and polished act .

Coffee Shop P.A. Set UP :

Peavey CS 400 Stereo Power Amp ( 200 watts X 2 )

12 Channel high/low impedance mixer nominal EQ & effects loop capabilities .

Four JBL 8 inch full range speakers  with 4 Piezo HF horns ( 1x8in + piezo per cabinet  x 4 cabinets ) I made myself with off the shelf stuff , no solder in , cuttin and gluein honest !

Ibanez digital effects  for vocals , harps & acoustic guitars .

Guitar synth sounds are independent with their own effects in stereo through the P.A. with all sorts of goodies like rotary speakers and stuff to enhance it's sounds with several reverbs types and mind blower delays / flanges / chorus's / Phase Shift'rs controls .

In this little set up I can used up to 11 channels of the 12 total I have to use .

The vocals = 2 mic's n 4 mic stands

The guitars ( X 2 ) = one direct XLR from the guitar to the mixer and one to mic its  delicate sweet acoustic sound ( the guitar has a unique natural echo nuance that need a separate mic to capture what the guitar piezo doesn't pic up . The Second guitar the same way . Mic / line = 4 channels used

The Roland GR33 guitar synthesizer uses a stereo pair of inputs to the mixer that = 2 more channels used up

The midi guitar has a acoustic line out to use so that is 9 channels used up in this plus I have  harp mic(s) with a tube amp and an electric guitar tube amp in this set up . If I wanted them mic'd I would end up using 11 channels and that leaves one channel for an extra occasional vocalist mic .

My mixer has a double turn table mixer input too , maybe I should get to use it as a a " scratcher " just like a percussionists would apply his rhythms only in an electronic kind of way these hip hoppers are doing , the ideas never stop flowing heh heh .

Un common times demand uncommon solutions from un common thinking from un common thinkers .

What's your set up like ?

Sincerely :

HR

Aka :