Slonimsky

Joel Fritz wrote:

>Slonimsky had a radio program in the early
>70s on KPFA in Berkeley. He was incredibly
>entertaining. Until several years later I had no idea
>that he was, among other things, a tremendous
>influence on many jazz players.

I read a piece about Nicolas Slonimsky some years ago.  I wish I could
remember where, but I cannot.  The article mentioned that Slonimsky was a
great friend of Frank Zappa.  I am sure they talked about theory and
composition and other topics, but Zappa also had a fabulous Bosendorfer
grand piano that Slonimsky would come over and play.  A favorite trick of
his was to face away from the piano and play with his arms behind his back.
This wasn't something he worked up for a select group of pieces; he would
let others call the tune.

George