Re: Nicolas Slonimsky

Chris Michalek wrote:
> http://www.archive.org/audio/audio-details-db.php?collection=other_min
> ds&collectionid=SlonimskyBerkPianoBar
>
> I recently stumbled upon the internet archive.  There is some
> incredible information available through that site...
>
> Anyway, everybody wishing to enhance their musical prowess go the
> forementioned link. It's a little slow at first but Nicolas Slonimsky
> is one of the pioneers of moderned music and it will be worth taking
> an hour and half to listen to his lecture from 1971.
>
> Here a description from the website:
> In this lecture and demonstration, Nicolas Slonimsky covers topics
> such as polytonality, atonality, scales, the perils of introducing
> the music of Charles Ives and Edgar Varese to the Hollywood Bowl
> audiences in 1933, polyrhythm, and The Grandmother Chord. He then
> recounts comments made about composers by their contemporary writers,
> e.g., there are criticisms of Chopin, Wagner and Stravinsky. A review
> of his experiences with Performance Art follows and is not to be
> missed. Answers to questions on John Cage's 4'33", electronic music,
> John Coltrane, microtonal composition, American women composers,
> quarter tones, comments by Tchaikovsky on Brahms, comments on
> Toscanini and Leonard Bernstein follow and conclude this whirlwind
> tour of this gifted individual's complex and extraordinary mind.
>

> --

Slonimsky had a radio program in the early 70s on KPFA in Berkeley.  He
was incredibly entertaining.  Until several years later I had no idea
that he was, among other things, a tremendous influence on many jazz
players. I thought he was a retired music professor that the station's
music director liked.  Haven't listened to the lecture yet, but I'm sure
it's more than worth the trouble.

- --
Hear Barrelhouse Solly on the web.
That's me.