RE: recording private lessons

I promote the recording of all private lessons. A recording with the
right teacher is a very good resource.  Since my lessons are tailored
for each student and ability I am not worried about a student sharing
the recording. Even if a student were to share a recorded lesson I
see it as a potential advertisement for my teaching services.

In my experience the elite musicians encourage the recordings of live
shows and lessons. They are always willing to share what they know.
Bela Fleck is a very good example.  Puruse www.flecktones.com and
you'll she they promote the recording of live shows and the trading
of bootleg tapes on their website.

What's the point of fearing that person will "steal" your music or
share your knowledge with others? Are you playing a game where you
can not allow another musician to be better than you? There's nothing
to feel good about blocking somebody's musical path. I feel honored
when somebody with a higher aptitude for music has crossed paths with
me and I was able to teach that person something. Music is not a game
where I feel compelled to compete with my peers. I  believe that one
must be able to give before they are able to receive.