RE: recording private lessons

My bias: I videotape guitar lessons with the blessing of my instructor.

The entire point of a private lesson is that each and every lesson is
tailored to match the student's individual progress and hurdles. Otherwise
the student would be better off buying a commercial series of tapes. That
would be less expensive than personal lessons.

Given that lessons are tailored for my individual progress, and include me
faltering and displaying my worst, I really doubt anyone else would _want_
to watch them. And even if they did, it wouldn't do them much good unless
they have the exact same progress, or lack thereof, as I. (which of course
is impossible).

The amount of new information that can be presented in the course of an hour
is staggering. I know that my frustration was that I would get home and have
forgotten one tiny detail that rendered moot 12 other things I did remember.
My next lesson inevitably would start back up with "Could you show/tell me
that again?" In this light I've found these recordings to be invaluable.
They have a direct effect on my rate of progress.

Is it impossible that someone will use the tapes rather than take lessons?
Of course not. But I believe this is more than made up with positives. The
more progress your student(s) make, the more likely they are to remain
motivated and continue taking lessons. The better they do, the more likely
you are to get referrals.

Something else my instructor noted was that he found himself becoming more
focused knowing that the tape was rolling. He feels he gives a better lesson
- -- of course others might feel uncomfortable for the same reason.

I respect the arguments in both directions, but I thought a view from a
student's perspective might be helpful.

Paul

PS: as for finding the right part for playback etc, the first thing I do
when I get home is make a digital copy so I can loop, slow-down, etc. It is
wonderful. While it would be possible for a student to take all the lessons
and edit them into a generic lessons to distribute to friends, think about
how much work that would really be! I sure wouldn't do it.