Fwd: German harps...how much "German" are they?

Jens -

Thanks for a really great post. It told me things I didn't know about
the extent of Hohner's outsourcing - I know some of my diatonics come
with "Made in the Czech Republic" on the box, but I didn't know that
parts were not fitting together.

The gentleman who thought that buying "German" harps was a bad idea
for political reasons would have to choose Brazilian or Chinese or
Japanese harps - but wait, he can't buy those either and for the same
political reasons - governments in those countries didn't support
certain policies of the U.S. government either. I'll bet if he went
down to his local Wal-Mart store (discount retailer superstore for
those who don't live in the U.S.) he would find that most of what
they sell is produced in countries that are in his bad books.

It's a truly international, globalized world, right there in your
hometown, reflected in just about everything you see or touch. How
fitting that a man who follows the prince of peace should be the one
to point this out to us.

Winslow

- --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Jens Bunge" <jensbunge@xxxx>
wrote:
German harps are not really German any more...as far as I know, since
1997 Hohner has been owned by the HS Investment Group Inc. in
Tortola, British Virgin Islands, a subsidiary of the K.H.S. Musical
Instrument Company, Taipeh/Taiwan. So the parts of their harmonicas
are mainly produced in Taiwan, P.R.China, Czech Republic etc. Some of
the instruments are then assembled in Germany. I once got in trouble,
when I needed reedplates tuned at a pitch of a = 440 Hz for a
recording session in Chicago. The piano there was regularly tuned at
440 Hz. Hohner's standard tuning is about 444 Hz, so I ordered
reedplates at a lower pitch from them. Having waited for 6 weeks for
the delivery, I called them and had to learn that they couldn't make
it before my flight to the USA, because they had trouble with the
company which produced the reedplates, located in Czech Republic.

Some years ago I also heard complaints from other non-professional
harmonica players about instruments with parts that seemed not to fit
to each other. This was because the parts are produced elsewhere, and
the people in Trossingen then have to try to make them fit, with
sometimes lousy results.

>From then on, I rather try to buy old instruments from ebay and work
on them to adjust them to my needs, than buying expensive new
harmonicas directly from Hohner's. In both cases, I don't know
exactly what to expect before I finally receive the instrument, but
at least the old ones are much cheaper.

Recently I sent an old (German) Hohner Chromonika III, probably from
the 1930's or 1940's, which I won in an ebay auction, to an American
customizer with Greek ancestors, who restored it with some of his
original parts, and made a new pair of coverplates from Indian
rosewood. I plan to take this fine instrument to Hong Kong and play
it at the Asia Pacific Harmonica Festival this August. Hehe, so it's
really an international, "globalized" harmonica now; the reedplates
and the slider - apart from me - are the only German components left
in this instrument...

By the way, pictures of this beautiful instrument can be viewed at:
http://groups.msn.com/harmonicaclub/harmonica.msnw?
action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=54
(continued at: =55/=57/=58).

Jens Bunge (born in Germany, but with a Danish name, loving music and
loving people - no matter where they come from...)
- --- End forwarded message ---