Re: "wired hot"

Michelle had it right.  You can play on top of the 545 and get an amzing
compressed amplified tone or simply back off for a very reasonable
acoustic sound.  The 520's are similarly useful but much harder to hold
away.  Regarding impedance matching transformers and the 545, it's not
like an SM57.  As G has noted simply using the transformer does not
yield the same results as using the microphone in it's native high
impedance mode.  The 545 SD that I use (vintage not modern) has the
feature of being able to alter the impedance by using a cord with a
diferent pinout configuration.  In my case the Astatic XLR pinout yields
a high impedance signal when used with the 545.  I had my particular mic
for years and never much cared for it.  I'd tried it with the inline
transformer, ho hum.  Mark Beckles Wilson posted about using the Astatic
cord and I tried it.  I haven't gigged with any other mic since then.  fjm

  p.s. don't buy one of these mic's, they're terrible and if you find
one send it to me.  I'll buy it from you so you don't have to suffer for
having bought it.