From: owner-harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Mark Wilson
Sent: 21 May 2004 20:52
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: 3rd Position

Does anyone have any idea what percentage of George Smiths diatonic
recording were done in 3rd position?  I'm wondering if he was pretty much
just a 3rd position guy on the short harp.  I'm also curious if there were
any other artists who played diatonic primarily in 3rd position?

I find it interesting that 3rd isn't used more often as it has a more
complete blues scale than either 1st or 2nd position.
If you can master the 2 and 3 draw bends you have a usable blues scale up
and down the harp. The only note I find myself missing is the D note (on a C
harp) of resolution at the high end of the harmonica.  Having that note
would be ideal, but it's pretty easy just to slide down to the 8 draw and
resolve there.

For me, 3rd position comes more naturally than 2nd.  I'm think I'm wired
differently than most, as an example, I write with my right hand, and draw
with my left, eat left handed, throw a ball with my right, etc... I think I
may be hard wired as a third position player??  At times 2nd position feels
like I'm writing a book report while 3rd feels like I'm drawing a picture.
Could be a left brain right brain thing??

I know this for sure, I can play a tune in 2nd for a week and still not have
it right, but if I try it out in 3rd the music flows out faster, and much
more naturally. Has anyone else experienced this?  I'm thinking about
putting my focus on 3rd, ala George Smith, and am looking for a little
validation from my compadres.

Cheers
Mark