Re: Star of David

6 point star is a symbol of quality and of stability: if it's on a product, it can mean " Product which is good all the time". But it is also used because it is merely decorative.

What I have heard is that German's law of 1936 did forbid jewish symbols on anything exept Jewish stuff (stores...)

Because the star at the back of Hohner harps were considered as a jewish symbol, German's Governement (Hitler, Ribbentropp and Goebbles among others) asked, I mean TOLD Hohner to not put that sign anymore on the harmonicas.
That's the story I've heard. After having studying the Germany, that story seems to be true, but there are no official paper that I have seen to prove it.
But if you want more infos, contact Harland Crain. He is an expert about harmonicas.

Froggy

Jp Pagan <jpl_pagan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Gents, Ladies...

this has been dicussed on harp-l before.
thankfully, you can still find some of the thread in
the harpamps.com archives. unfortunately, i couldn't
find a definitive answer as to why it was there, or
what it meant. it has been pointed out, however, that
prior to WWII, and prior to the six-point star, there
were other symbols found stamped on the bottom of the
covers: 5 point stars, flowerettes, something known as
"mickey mouse ears"... they may have just been symbols
used to mark different production runs or something.
its also possible, i would think, that before Hitler
came along, no one thought much about the star as a
Jewish symbol (in the way few people today think
wearing a Tao tattoo makes you a Buddhist, or realize
that the "manjii" is not a swastika, or know what
Celtic runes are all about...), it may have been just
another pretty symbol until WWII...

- --Jp