Re: German harps and star of david

On May 21, 2004, at 12:17 PM, Doug Tanner wrote:

> So, I've yet to hear what sounds to me like the true story behind the
> star of david on pre-war hohner harps.   Anybody know what they think
> is
> the real story??
>
> Doug Tanner
>
> - I would be very interested in this also. I used to work with a bunch
> of guys who were all Bavarian-American. Don't know why they used THIS
> term but they were all Catholic. (I understand Germany is about 20-25%
> Catholic and most come from Bavaria). I also was under the impression
> that the area was not as wealthy as other parts of Ger. With names
> like Schreckengost, Steigerwaldt, Groetenthatler, Hemmrich, I suppose
> I trusted their stories as "plausible".
     The info I got was that there were very few Jewish people in
Bavaria and those that were, where along the Rhine river's industrial
belt. Since Trossingen is IN the belt, there exists a possibility that
Hohner was Jewish. I, however, remember hearing/reading that this is
not so, and therefore wonder just exactly WHY the 6 pointed star IS on
their early products. You would have thought that Hohner would bring
this to light, but maybe (just maybe) they view it as either
"deminimus" OR a can of Pandora worms. :)  inquisitive in the
swamp....smo-j