Re: "wired hot" (was: Octave Effects Question)

G. said:

> IMHO tonally they're a great mic.  Its got a
slightly different frequency
> response pattern to both the SM57 (which has the R57
dynamic cartridge) and
> SM58 (R58 dynamic cartridge) for different reasons
(eg. range of response,
> frequency response pattern) - but to my ear not all
that different in tone
> except for one key element - when you wire the
earlier 545's high impedance,
> the signal is hotter (ie. more dBs) than using an
impedance convertor

>I can get a similar distorted tone from my
> Bullets (CR, CM, crystal, or ceramic depending on
flavour of the moment),
> and I can get a warm clean punchy tone from either
my SM58 (warmer) or SM57
> (compressed, more bass end) - so it would be a
luxury to have one, rather
> than a critical addition.

Hey G. and M.N.,

  thanks again for your responses. and thanks G. for
the compare/contrast with other mics. that's very
useful. it does sound very desireable, but like you
said, if you already have other mics to cover the same
bases (more or less) it's less a "necessity" than a
luxury.

G. said:
> Its easy to read and write emails about technical
gumph like this, its a lot
> harder to write and understand more esoteric
subjects like building a good
> solo, working on tone and learning to play by ear.
:)

oh, i've got those figured out already. i just need
the right gear now :)

         --Jp

(y'all, please, don't reply if you just took that
comment seriously... :)