Re: German harps... Why?

Steve Shaw said:
> I don't agree that it hasn't got a place on harp-l.
I think that it's valid
> to raise the ethics of buying harmonicas from
various countries, as long as
> we keep the discussion on that track and avoid
lurching off into general
> history or politics (sorry, that is just my opinion,
not an attempt to
> police the proceedings!).  I didn't agree with Kenny
but I think it was good
> that he raised his opinion up for an airing.

Hi Steve,

   respectfully, i disagree that this is a valid
thread on harp-l (and i'm anxiously awaiting word from
the list admin on the matter) the problem being that
with this thread we'll inevitably focus on the
political discussion, and the harp discussion will be
secondary. and our discussion will be less factual
than it will be opinion driven. whether or not you
think the invasion of Iraq is right is not a matter of
fact, but opinion. whether or not you think Germany is
"in Saddam's back pocket" is not a matter of fact, but
opinion. then there's the debate over whether or not
buying German product does anything to teach the
German gov't a lesson, or if just hurts German
business owners with no ties to the gov't or Iraq (i
doubt Iraq is a major Hohner supporter, for one.) on
top of all that, the thread started with highly
opinionated and debatable takes on WWII (no to mention
very insulting comments to those of us under 50). i
don't see this going anywhere useful. unlike the
thread on working conditions in Chinese factories, in
which we can at least focus on the factual conditions
at issue, though even then the final decision as to
whether or not you consider those jobs a boon or a
bane to the Chinese is still a matter of opinion, and
a political issue.
frankly, i'd like to see this thread end just as soon
as possible, so we can get back to talking about less
divisive and political topics. we're here to talk
harp, not talk politics under the thinly veiled
premise that it's "harp related."

   --Jp