re: "wired hot" (was: Octave Effects Question)

Jp wrote:
"... getting the Shure 545 (a dream of mine) 'wired hot.' does that just
mean wired hi-impedance as opposed to lo-impedance, or is there a further
step to 'hot'-ness?"

=====================================

I do indeed mean set internally for hi-impedance. Many of the mics in the
545 series mics are dual impedance. When I got my first 545S it was set
internally for lo-z and, as such, I used it with a lo-to-hi z transformer as
you would when plugging a modern SM57 or SM58 into an amp. It sounded pretty
good to my ears. But then, on the recommendation of someone on list (Don D.,
I believe) I had a tech open the mic and set it for hi-z instead and change
the plug on the amp end to a 1/4" male. Resetting it like this (something
that's pretty easy to do, I just had a tech do it 'cause I didn't have time
to mess with it) made the mic even hotter and responsive. For more on these
mics, take a look at shure.com. Root around a bit and you'll find tons of
manuals for all (or at least a LOT of) their current and discontinued
models.
MN