Re: Octave Effect Pedal question

G. wrote:
"Andrew or MN might be able to answer this more fully than me. But I asked
Jason why the BOSS OC-2. He said, because he owned it and it works, why fix
what ain't broke. He's basically using it as a kind of
compressor/preamp ... <snip> When I transcribed his interview with MN for
Planet Harmonica, he was using an SM57 which definitely needs help to get
the signal up to drive an amp hard since its low impedance."

==================================

Not to put words in Jason's mouth but G. is right on: Jason owned the pedal,
messed around with it, stumbled onto a unique way of using it that he liked,
and kept right on using it. I think you'll find with most working/touring
players, budget does play a role in what gear they use.
I have to disagree with G. on the SM57 -- other than a simple lo-to-hi z
adapter, that mic does not need any boost to drive an amp hard. In fact,
Jason played his 57 straight into a Bassman RI for years before discovering
the OC-2 and even recorded the CD "Down at the Juke" like this (and, just
between you and me, I like his pre-OC-2 sound better). I'll agree with G.,
though, that I'd still opt for an early Shure 545 wired hot. Different
strokes for different folks, and all that.....
MN