Re: Octave Effect Pedal question

Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 10:32:32 -0400
From: Pat Missin <pat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Octave Effect Pedal question

G wrote:
>I've tried the BOSS OC-2 as intended, the biggest flaw is that it simply
>doesn't handle chords - if you try to vamp or use any intervals the sound
>goes to utter shit.

That's mostly true. The OC-2 is not intended for polyphonic use.
That's not a defect of this particular pedal, it's just that this the
way that this type of octaver works.

8<
>Playing single note was underwhelming. If you're interested in octave
>effects there was a good thread on this group recently.
>There are definitely better brands out there than BOSS.
>You might look into an emulator or digital effects unit like Behringer or
>Digitech which use 24 bit technology for instance.

That's not really a case of better or worse brands, but of completely
different technologies.

/ Good point not an apples with apples comparison.
/ I admit I'm biased against BOSS effects for harp because I didn't like
what I've heard when I've tried them out - thats only my opinion.
/ I mean Norton Buffalo is very happy using his Boss unit as his main rig.

Out of all the different analog octavers I have tried, the Boss OC-2
was the most reliable. However, digital pitch shifters are a different
thing altogether. I use the analog octavers AND digital pitch shifting
devices because they produce different sounds. I like the round synthy
tone that the OC-2 produces, but I also like have clean "natural
sounding" pitch shifting available for polyphonic stuff.
 -- Pat.

/ I've learnt something today.
/ Thanks Pat.
- -- G.