Re: Jams/ letting people sit in

drori hammer <drori_hammer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> nothing can kill a good show like a
> tastless or inferior musican sitting in.

to draw an analogy, i used to play Ulitmate Frisbee on
several very competitive teams.  occasionally we'd let
other players play with us at tournaments.  these were
often former team members who'd gone off to college.
they were young, fast, and very talented.  and they
invariably screwed the whole team up.  because while
they could play well, they didn't play well *with us*.
we practiced and played together all the time, knew
each other's habits, strengths, and weaknesses, and
had developed the kind of flow that a good band develops.
and that's a lot for a guest to overcome.  clearly, some
can do it.  but many can not.

- ----
Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs

Be happy for this moment.
This moment is your life.