Re: RE: Jam Session Etiquette

Chris Michalek said:
> I've had people come and tell me they are one
> of the best harp player in the world - perhaps in
> their "gussing"

I have a pretty liberal sit in policy with my band. If
musicians come out to see us then why not come up to
play. Sometimes they are good, sometimes it's one tune
and goodbye. At a gig a couple of months ago both my
drummer and I were bamboozled by two dudes with an
excellent rap. The harp player I was talking to was
telling me he had wanted to come check us out for a
long time but he was always gigging. He was on the
road with this guy and played in the east coast back
up band for this guy. I was impressed by his resume. I
asked him to sit in and he was thrilled but man did he
suck! My drummer was talking to a guy he kind of new
and I overheard bits and pieces "conservatoy this"
"blues guy that" So we got him up and he sucked too.

I have never asked anyone if I could sit in. Even when
I desparately wanted to I layed it cool. I would just
introduce myself and my rap, dropping the right names,
always being well dressed etc. usually got them to ask
me to sit in. But these two bozos have thrown my
entire belief system upside down.

Beware the good rap.
Ryan