RE: Jam Session Etiquette

Exerpt .

Robert Hale
"the Duke Of Wail"

Sez :

>The problem is that not every harp player will read or adopt the advice.

>Jam hosts:
>How would you ask for this better behavior when the jam courtesy is >abused?

Hurricane Sez :

It takes only one bad showing to get " Black Balled " in most cases from a jam when a  pro runs it . Blow it once and forget about getting on  stage again at that club period .

One particular fellow here in the Palm Springs looked the part as far as outward image , he dressed in  super cool Armani suits , acted really hip but when this guy took a trumpet to his lips and tried to wail on his horn ..... it was brutally awful and painful .

Once a drummer friend from Chicago who was in the house band at a really nice establishment here in Palm Springs , took his drum stick and hit this same dude on the back of his head to get his attention while customers were walking out the door making ugly faces at the band  , saying to him as he finally stopped playing " Man you can't do that on my stage  , get the f@#% off now ! " I had to agree , guys like this are to be avoided like a speed freak on a binge .

Point is , a pro musician can't afford guys like these and is obligated to know who's who before letting an unknown on stage .

If it is amateur night , well , that's different , some people actually get off seeing a person make a fool out of themselves ala gong show and I have run those type jams too in my early days as a professional and I know a few clubs that specialize in those kind of jams still today . I don't go to those jams anymore  , not that I'm a snob , but after hard at it to make an lasting good impression , there is now way I want myself ( or any other pro for that matter )  categorized as a gong show type musician host or player .

If your the main man leader of the show you are obligated to protect your professional musicians & the house from bad musicians playing so poorly the house looses patrons and the $ that don't show in the register . If your a band leader and have had a few bad sessions like that , guess what , you don't have a gig any more there or any other place if the words get out that you have poor musicians on stage making bad music . And as important , other pro's won't want to work for you no matter what you pay them .

My rule(s) when I do a jam session that is not an pure amateur night thing  pretty much sticks to what you fellows read from that etiquette list Randy posted .

When I'm asked by an unknown musician if he /she can come up and do a song , I say lets talk about on the break , then on the break I take that person outside of ear shot and have them do a little audition , from there it is a crap shoot whether I let them on if they are shaky at best , and let them down politely and say " You need to do a little wood shedding my friend " And also explain why its critical to have a good showing on their first night out if they want to get on stage again . I also say it is not fair to the musicians who work with me to have some one who is not ready to go on stage and jeopardize a gigs length . I have had those who I turned down thank me later after they improved and I had them on stage .

Jam sessions over all don't last long if rank amateurs get on stage exclusively in an area where the clientele is knowledgeable and sophisticated . I didn't make these rules , they are just a fact of life . If you notice , the places that have amateur jams have them usually during " Off hours and Days " like Sunday in the early afternoon . Never on a Friday or Saturday night around here in this area , unless it is a pro/am type jam that has really talented amateurs in the area who are known by the pro musicians ahead of the time they ask to come on stage , these people have paid their dues and as amateurs blow as good as many pro's I might add . When I see these types roll in the door I get happy and encourage them to sit in before they ask , and not just to jam . These people know their stuff and are respected by the pro musicians , and it is these fellows who hire you to do a private gig at their home for serious cash too because they realize what it takes to be that good !
to be on stage and want to look like a pro to their family & friends .

When I was a young cat on the prowl trying to make a name in music and hit any and all jam session in one day ,  I was treated like I just wrote , some one took me aside away from the action in the club and checked me out , and it sat well with me when some one said I wasn't ready and told I  needed to put in the " wood shedding " time to get good enough to get respect and get on stage . Basically I following those "Jam etiquette " ethics Randy posted and the advise of really great pro musicians here where I live .

Palm Springs is a big time heavy tourist area like where Randy lives in Miami  , but in its beginnings it was a small secret little retreat for Hollywood directors , actors & Big Band people , politicians ( like a few presidents ) successful ones with lots of clout and $$ and the level of their collective sophistication dictated a really great show at a club or they would not spend their wad there if the music was mediocre at best . That's why this area is a tough area to break into and play since it is not as huge an area as Miami and fewer clubs to play .

I am glad that I went through those " Nope buddy , not till you have your act together better than what your playing now " years , because statements like those hit me square between the eyes and made me either improve or play at home alone . I worked hard , very hard at learning and improving my musical skills to the point where I was always invited on stage with a smile from those really great people who earlier busted my chops and turned me down . You know you have got it together as a diatonic player and play with big bands and the like . Im time my chromatic playing eventually improved and I played both harmonica types on stage with these seasoned musician who  played with the best , Ellington , Kenton , Barnet , Armstrong , James , etceteras  .

My time with these fellows was super , what I learned from them I can't even begin to start relating because words fail me to be able to describe what they gave me , they were just that  dynamic . It blew their minds when I played most of my earlier years with these guys with only a diatonic for these big band swing tunes that I could cover  . I had to be good or I would not have ever met and played with these people in the first place , and this is not to make a bragging statement , its just a fact .

Sincerely :

HR

Aka :

Party_Man1@xxxxxxxxxx