Quest for tone - was bends physics and physical

Hate to ask about tone since its always comming up but I'm still not clear
on tone and all that can be done to achieve it. Ok now Tim said:

 It really is all about resonance and sympathetic vibration.  The
> player changes the size and shape of the resonnant cavity of the
> mouth which results in a change in pitch of the vibrating reed.

Also I've read that:

tone requires relaxed mouth/throat/... (not everyone seems to agree on this)
tone can be improved by getting the column of air to vibrate
tone can be improved by increasing (or varying) the size of the cavity
(using diaphram etc.)
Vibrato can improve your tone (how is unclear to me by the way?)
oh yeah, and great tone does not come from a mic or an amp

Ok lets start with the result I want. I want to be able to play with a clean
mic and amp and on occasion be able to dirty up my sound so it sounds like a
dirty growl.
The thing I have a tough time with is the concept of getting the the column
of air to vibrate. I remember posts about Kargiraa and I can do Kargiraa
like sounds with my throat to some extent. But this is all done in exhale
mode. Is it possible to do any kind of throat scraping while inhaling? Is
that what people do? Does such a growl require distortion or can it be done
at a low volume? is it resonance and amplitude that creates a growl? how is
one supposed to get the entire column of air to vibrate?

Pierre.