RE: Hi-MD

From: "d.m.fairweather" <dmf273@xxxxxxxxx>

With all the talk about mic recordings via minidisc, you may be interested
to know that
Sony is launching its Hi-MD format in late July or August.  It allows mic
recording to non-lossy .wav format, or to several varying degrees of ATRAC
compression.  A single
1-Gig disk will hold anywhere from 90 min of uncompressed to 34 hours of
highly
compressed music.

As the person who was berating Sony a couple of days ago, I'm glad you
mentioned this!  I've just discovered it myself in my researches for a
replacement for my busted minidisc.  Apart from the fact that the original
recording quality should be an improvement on what is possible now (it's
already pretty good), it will be possible to upload to computer via a USB
port any mic recordings made.  The cheapest recorder would seem to be the
Sony MZNH700, which is going to cost as "little" as £170 in the UK.
unfortunately, my wife was going to spend quite a bit less than this on my
birthday present next month (any advice on how to get round this will be
gratefully received).  If you're a harp player who may occasionally wish to
keep some of your own recordings, AND you were thinking of buying an iPod or
similar, then this minidisc recorder would be worth considering as an
economical solution to both.  Don't quote me.

Steve Shaw

http://toolbar.msn.co.uk/