Re: Tilted Embouchure

I think the original poster asked, how do you increase speed using an
unfamiliar embouchure (with the harp tilted up, in this case)? Part of
the answer is practice, of course, but one thing I find helps with speed
(using any embouchure) is to move the harp in an arc across the mouth in
a sort of rolling motion instead of just moving sideways over to the
note. Essentially you've shortened the distance --ever so slightly-- you
have to travel to get to the note (especially useful for larger note
intervals). I find I'm more accurate as well. Hope this helps...
=20
I find the tilted embouchure works best for me; I tend to be a "wet"
player. Also, in a workshop years ago Howard Levy pointed out that
tilting the back of the harp up points the business end of the harp more
directly down the throat, while at the same time allowing you to drop
the jaw forward a bit more comfortably. Arguably this helps improve
tone. As G aptly points out, however, YMMV...=20
=20
Try new things, I'd say, by devoting a bit of practice time to them. At
Jon Gindick's camp in DC Allen Holmes talked about how he holds the harp
(between the thumbs), and this still feels strange to me, but I try to
spend some time working with that every day, and it's getting there.
=20
Howard Parks