re: Working a thin crowd

Hey,

Jason is a great guy and I have seen him play his ass off for massive crowds
of 5 to 6 people. Jason always makes it a point to really go the distance in
those situations. I remember one time after seeing a less than spectacular harp
player with Jason, and I remember Jason walking out in utter disgust at this
player for not going the distance on the gig. Jason talked about how many of
those in there had to go grab babysitters for their kids and this maybe their
only night out for this week due to cash or time. Jason had a real tie to what
those in the audience were dealing with and had to go through in order to make
it out to see him and other artists play. This had a deep impression on me
and everytime I perform I give 110% because of that. Jason is the real deal when
it comes down to it and the harmonica world is better for his presence.

Andrew
Hi,

Speaking of thin crowds. One time I went out to see
Jason Ricci down at this dive of a blues club in
Denver called Ziggies.

Now I've played this room and it can get hoppin'
sometimes, but I guess Jason is not yet well known
in these parts, and it was a weeknight gig. Plus,
Ziggies is not well known for its agressive
marketing efforts -- the joint was practicaly
empty, maybe 5 or 6 customers. Well I introduced
myself to Jason and the band and appologized for
the small crowd. Then I settled in for the show.

Jason, seemingly unphased by the lack of crowd, put
on a fantastic show. I chatted with him between
sets and found him to be a great guy as well as a
fantastic musician.

As the second set began a beer showed up at my
table that I didn't order. I'm lookin' around,
wondering where this gift came ! from... and there
was Jason singing away on stage, grinning at me.
He'd bought me the beer himself!

Well, I had planned on leaving after the 2nd set,
but now I wanted to stay the whole night in spite
of the fact that I had to get up a 5 am the next
day for work. He told me later he really
appreciated having at least one person in the
audience that had an inkling and appriciation of
what he was doing -- and he appreciated it very
much.

I think in some bass-ackward way, I helped him deal
with the small crowd that night. It was a helluva
great night for music, and I felt like I'd made a
new friend.

Harpin' in Colorado,
- --Ken M.