Re: How to make CD's from a Sony mini-disc recorder

<quote>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 23:28:38 EDT
From: Moandabluz@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: How to make CD's from a Sony mini-disc recorder

In a message dated 5/9/04 12:03:29 PM, dr.alters-wizardsway@xxxxxxx writes:
> I have an older model Sony minidisc model MZ-R37. I have been recording
our
> bands rehearsals and gigs.   I can't get it to download so that I can burn
> CD's for the guys. Does anyone have any advice?

I have a Sony MZ-R70 minidisc...It records great but, same problem.. I=20
can't get it to download into my Macintosh computer. I have an IMic, Itunes,
Toast and all that stuff, but still can't make it work. It will download for
a few
seconds, sometimes as long as 30 seconds, then stop. An alert says the disk
is responding too slowly....    Any advice here also???
Steve "Moandabluz" Webb
still a fool for the harp
</quote>

It sounds like you guys are trying to use a playback feature I'm unaware of.

I have a discontinued Sony MZ-R500.  It records line in (analogue), or
digital (fibre-optic).  If you use a mic it requires a stereo mic to line
convertor.
It has a number of choices of compression, from 74 min stereo or 160min
mono, I usually use LP2 stereo 160mins which sounds as good as CD quality to
my ears. And for rough bootlegs or voice you can use LP4 which fits 320 mins
to a 74min minidisk,which is like low quality MP3 music over the internet
without the breaks.

The only output this unit offers is the headphone output, and the manual
clearly illustrates how you can plug this into your DAT recorder or stereo
stereo line in.

To record off it I just plug it into my Mixer or directly into the PC's Line
In and labouriously record everything I want, then manually split it into
tracks.
You will need basic recording software like what you get with the Sound
Blaster Live!

Have either of you you tried doing that?

It isn't an ideal setup, but for the price I paid it does more than I ever
expected from it.

- -- G.