Re: Charlie Musslewhite Review

On May 11, 2004, at 1:15 PM, Garry Hodgson wrote:

> "K R Larkin" <senecasam@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> My wife and I once saw Dan Stevens, a New England blues player, at a
>> small college lounge performance in central PA.

   State College?

>>   There was one other audience member, and a photographer from the
>> local blues association there.
>>
>> It was like having Dan playing for us in our living room.
>> Fortunately, he was paid for the appearance, not by the head, and
>> being the professional that he is, gave us a great show.

   That's very hard to do. It's no secret that when a performer looks
out on the audience and it is on the "skinny" side, this can be very
dis heartening. Of course there's the Venue issue. I would rather play
in a "show" type setting (such as a convention) when the crowd is 360
people (who are ACTUALLY paying attention) than a bar setting where
there are 30 people gabbing & clanking glasses. I have been lucky. On
Wed, our crowd is 70 (not counting the adjoining dining room), and
slightly over 100 if we are on the outside deck/dock. and on Sundays it
is 70 (mainly because thats all that will fit IN the "other" place).

>> Disappointing was the fact that he is a dues paying member of that
>> very same blues association, and its membership didn't exactly
>> support one of their own.  It was an early show, no smoke, no drunks,
>> no age restrictions, and yet, no numbers.

    This is almost criminal. The sad thing IS: a large crowd doesn't
mean that the musician is top drawer and a small crowd doesn't mean
that the musician ISN't. You (apparently) were witness to a special
occasion. The chance to hear a good player in an "un-adulterated"
setting. These opportunities are rare and don't come around that often,
so, in a way, you could say it was a positive experience.

>> Such is the nature of being a bluesman in America today.  My hat's
>> off to all of you on that road.  Thanks for keeping it alive.

   For sure. I have said this over and over. THAT life sucks big time.
Anyone who can do it (and it pays to be young and energetic) is a hero
in MY book. It's just like in sports. There are millions of players,
but only a few make any "chips", and in the end, most fade into
obscurity. There are a million sad stories in the world of the
"slide-kazoo".

  smokey Joe (& the Cafe s)