From: owner-harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Steve Shaw
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2004 11:07 AM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: How to make CD's from a Sony mini-disc recorder

In a message dated 5/9/04 12:03:29 PM, dr.alters-wizardsway@xxxxxxx writes:

 > I have an older model Sony minidisc model MZ-R37. I have been recording
our
 > bands rehearsals and gigs.  I can't get it to download so that I can burn
 > CD's for the guys. . . . Does anyone have any advice?

    I have a Sony MZ-R70 minidisc...It records great but, same problem.. I
can't get it to download into my Macintosh computer. I have an IMic, Itunes,
Toast and all that stuff, but still can't make it work. It will download for

a few
seconds, sometimes as long as 30 seconds, then stop. An alert says the disk
is responding too slowly....    Any advice here also???

Steve "Moandabluz" Webb
still a fool for the harp

I have the same recorder as Steve, and I've made a lot of CDs of our
sessions from the recordings.  I have a PC and know nothing about Macs etc.

Maybe you should close other programs down/disconnect from the internet
while you're copying (that's the blind leading the blind there!).  All I can

do is tell you what I do, so here goes!

I have a Soundblaster Audigy card, with a panel on the front of the
computer, but have found it impossible to connect successfully this way.
Instead I connect the headphone socket of the MD to the MIC socket at the
back.  I use software called Audio Cleaning Lab Deluxe (cost me £25), which
allows me to copy the recording on to the hard-drive and then edit it via a
wave form very easily (deleting passages, fading in/out, cutting out the
swear-words, making separate tracks, enhancing the sound etc.)  I adjust the

input sound level by turning up the MIC setting on the computer to full and
controlling the sound input using the MD volume control (find the loudest
passage of music to do this so that your recording isn't over-modulated -
otherwise you get ugly digital "clipping" of loud sounds).  Then just play
the MD with "record" running on the computer.  You can edit the recording
afterwards and get it to CD length, then use the software to burn it on to a

CD.

It's only one way, but it's simple and it works for me every time.  The same

software can be used to copy vinyl and cassettes to CD and can be used to
remove hiss and clicks.  You can even correct the pitch if your
record/cassette deck runs at the wrong speed - ideal for making recordings
to play along with.  I'm certain there's other similar software around,
maybe cheaper or free.

Steve Shaw (computer novice).

Want more than the blues?  Try Irish!
http://mysite.freeserve.com/trad_irish_harmonica