cheap mics, sound cards and taxes

I've helped a few folks set up their computers for demo-type recording
and found tremendous variations in quality. Several laptops have had
30-40 dB of noise from the sound card with no microphone even plugged
in, but a few can get a high quality sound (not studio quality, but good
enough for a pretty good demo, or for a track or two if you're recording
and adding files at someone elses studio). I've heard a couple of CD's
done on cheap computers with cheap sound cards that sound decent (this
was with a mixer feeding the mic input). The cheap condensers that come
with the computers are the same. Some sound "acceptable" and some like
crap.

Taxes - 1099 your guys and keep good records.

have fun!

Ned